Summer has finally arrived and everyone heads for the sun but it is important to remember that babies cannot tolerate the sun like adults.
Babies fair skin is prone to sunburn and they are also susceptible to dehydration and heatstroke.
Bunny Bumpkin has put together these tips on keeping your baby safe and cool in the summer and we have some product ideas to make it easy for you.
- Avoid the sun between 11am and 3pm when it is at its hottest.
- Use a very high factor sunscreen (e.g. factor 50) even if your baby is in the shade.Apply the sun cream regularly especially if they are using a paddling pool.
- Put a sun hat on your baby. Bunny Bumpkin sell a range of summer dresses with matching sun hats like this purple & pink posy and polka dot dress/sun hat set
Alternatively your baby can go for the hip look with this baby bandana available in four different colours.
- Give them more water than usual. Cooled boiled water is best for young babies. Fruit Juice Ice lollies are great for quenching an older babys’ thirst. If your baby is on solids fruit is another agreat way of getting them to have more fluid.
- If you are breastfeeding, you may need to increase the frequency. This summery Emma Jane nursing top makes breastfeeding easy
- A cool bath before bed time will make for a more comfortable night.
- Keep the bedroom cool by closing the curtains in the day and using a fan during hot nights.
- Keep bedclothes and nightwear to a minimum. Don’t let them get too cold though as temperature can drop in the night. A baby sleeping bag is handy for baby’s who like to kick the covers off. If it is a hot night though just put them in their nappy only and then put them in the sleeping bag.